Allow interactive users to change power options in Windows (2000, XP, VISTA, 7)
Standard users dont have the privilege to change the power option in Windows (2000, XP, VISTA, 7) so I needed to change this for my users.
All you have to do is give permissions on HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESOFTWAREMicrosoftWindowsCurrentVersionControls FolderPowerCfg to the Interactive user, this is easily done through GPO.
1. Start GPMC.mmc on your DC
2. Create a new GP or edit an existing one
3. Go to Computer Configuration > Windows settings > Security Settngs > Registry
4. Add a new key and select registry key -> “HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESOFTWAREMicrosoftWindowsCurrentVersionControls FolderPowerCfg”
5. Give full permission to Interactive user on this and child objects
Activate the GPO and do a gpupdate /force on your test client and check out the result, the interactive user can now change power options.