Standard users dont have the privilege to change the power option in Windows (2000, XP, VISTA, 7) so I needed to change this for my users.
All you have to do is give permissions on HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESOFTWAREMicrosoftWindowsCurrentVersionControls FolderPowerCfg to the Interactive user, this is easily done through GPO.
1. Start GPMC.mmc on your DC
2. Create a new GP or edit an existing one
3. Go to Computer Configuration > Windows settings > Security Settngs > Registry
4. Add a new key and select registry key -> “HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESOFTWAREMicrosoftWindowsCurrentVersionControls FolderPowerCfg”
5. Give full permission to Interactive user on this and child objects
Activate the GPO and do a gpupdate /force on your test client and check out the result, the interactive user can now change power options.